Thursday, February 28, 2008

Merlot check...

With the prospect of a free weekend on the horizon, I wanted to take a reading of the Merlot to have something to compare against at the weekend to see if it has finally stopped fermenting. Hopefully it will have done, so that I can transfer it to secondary and begin the final stages before bottling. I have taken to storing the hydrometer in a bottle containing water and sanitising powder so that I can take readings without any further sanitising hassle. I rinsed it and gently dropped it into the wine, and as mentioned previously, I took a picture:

Merlot Hydrometer


















<


























>






DayTime per bubble (secs)Gravity
0infinite1.078
32
59
915
1218
1530
21551.000
24infinite (after hydrometer reading)0.998
27infinite0.997
34infinite0.996

I think this has gone down a fraction more in the last week since the previous reading, but I'm hopeful it will now have finished. The target gravity of 990-994 is close enough for me to be fairly happy, but only time will tell whether this is close enough to still make a great wine.

No comments: