Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Bottling the Munton's Oaked Ale.

Today with some help from my poor mum, I washed the 45 bottles, and added 75 grams of dissolved demerara sugar into the Munton's Oaked Ale. We then set to work on bottling and capping it. We got 44 bottles, though the last few may have a few of the oak chips in, so they will be reserved for my tasting over the next couple of weeks.

I did have a quick taste yesterday, which to be honest was mainly to confirm that it needed pouring away. It looked so bad only a few days ago and it smelt fairly dodgy I thought too. However, yesterday it tasted OK, very malty you would expect as it's still all churned up, and with some fairly sharp after tastes, but it did seem like it was  on ruined, and with some nice maturing could actually turn out really well. I got a similar opinion after a prebottling taste today, so I have much renewed hope for this brew now.

With various guests descending on us over the next few weeks I will now monitor the 3 beers to check they look OK for the wedding,  and may not brew any more for a little while.

No comments: