Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Binning the Linthwaite Light.

With my latest brew just about ready to bottle, I decided it was finally make or break time for the Linthwaite Light. If you remember, this was the brew that I unfortunately left in the fermenting bucket for around 6 weeks before bottling, and as a result it was suffering from autolysis - where the yeast cells start to break down, leaving the associated burnt rubber smell and taste.

Tests of the brew over the few weeks following bottling showed the unpleasant flavour to be slowly reducing, though the smell was as strong and unpleasant as ever. Even with the slow subsiding of the undesirable flavour, the tastes left behind were not especially enjoyable.

Given I wasn't expecting the taste to ever become a good brew, I decided to bite the bullet and pour it all away, freeing up space in 'The Brewery' as well as bottles for my next brew. It also put an end to the constant chore of trying another bottle, only to gag on the smell, and the suffer the disappointment of tasting the beer.

So remember, get it bottled asap - don't be lazy.
Sometime in the future I will avenge these ghosts and brew a Linthwaite Light properly :-)

No comments: