Thursday, March 13, 2008

Racking the Strawberry

Having given the Strawberry another 11 days after it seemed to have got to the edge of its target gravity, I decided it was time to wrack it to the secondary demijohn. Like the Merlot, I decided to take a gravity reading anyway, which was again easiest from a picture:
Strawberry Final Gravity

The gravity was really hard to read, but it definitely wasn't any lower than the 1.008 I had measured last time.










































DayTime per bubble (secs)Gravity
0infinite 
18 
341062
61.5 
1250 
19103 (after hydrometer reading)1.008
30103 (after hydrometer reading)1.008

In fact, I even thought the gravity might be 1.009, so I'm not sure if that suggests a misread last time, or perhaps the gravity has dropped with the clearing of the wine. Speaking of which, the wine was already very clear, and was noticeably lighter in colour than the Merlot, which was a very dark red.

Anyway, onto the racking. I had sterilized the demijohn that had previously contained the Merlot, as well as the tubing, a grommit and an airlock. I placed the wine on the side in the kitchen, and positioned the empty demijohn in the washing up bowl on the floor. (I actually placed the washing up bowl on top of my wine making tool box so that the tubing would reach to the bottom of the demijohn.) I again sinned by sucking to get the wine going, and away it went, again without so much as a sip of win for me. :-( As it got near the end, I very gently tipped the demijohn in order to get a little more of the clear wine off the top of the sediment.

Wracked Strawberry

I tried to pour a little of the remaining wine from the nearly empty demijohn into a glass to taste, but as soon as I moved the demijohn the sediment mixed with the clear wine to turn it very sludgy. I was impressed at just how much the wine had cleared, and how well the stiff tubing had taken the wine from above the sediment without disturbing it.

The instructions suggested mixing the stabiliser with a couple of tablespoons of water and then adding it to the primary demijohn. As I was wracking to a secondary to remove much of the sediment, I actually added the stabiliser into the empty demijohn before wracking the wine into it. As instructed, I then added the Strawberry flavouring to the wine. This took the form of a small clear sachet containing a surprisingly small amount of red liquid. Unlike with the Merlot, the instructions then told me to add the finings straight away, before shaking the demijohn vigorously for a few minutes. I must then shake it on at least 6 occasions over the next 24 hours, before leaving it a few weeks to clear. I wondered whether the difference between this and the Merlot (where I hat to add just the stabiliser and shake the contents regularly over 3 days before adding the finings and then leaving to clear) was a genuine difference, or just lazier instructions given with a cheaper kit where it wouldn't make much difference, and might be being made by a less professional brewer.

I found after a few minutes of shaking, the wine stopped fizzing when I removed my thumb.
shaken Strawberry Wine

I replaced the airlock and placed the demijohn back in the brewery, with the intention of shaking it a few times over the next 24 hours.

6 comments:

Blogger said...

Are you thinking of cheating on your wife?





http://flexwife.com
It is like ashleymadison but cheaper!

Blogger said...

[...] bellsbeer wrote a fantastic post today on “Wracking the Strawberry”Here’s ONLY a quick extractHaving given the Strawberry another 11 days after it seemed to have got to the edge of its target gravity, I decided it was time to wrack it to the secondary demijohn. Like the Merlot, I decided to take a gravity reading anyway, … [...]

Blogger said...

Strawberry is one of those wines I plan on trying this summer. I wet my feet with some Blackberry Mead last year and have since experimented with plum Mead, Blackberry almond Pulque, cranberry and Goji Berry.
It sounds like you are using a kit, I'm curious how real the strawberry "flavour" is if there was such a small amount.

Cheers


http://fermentedfruits.blogspot.com

Blogger said...

[...] http://bellsbeer.wordpress.com/2008/03/13/wracking-the-strawberry/19, 103 (after hydrometer reading), 1.008. 30, 103 (after hydrometer reading), 1.008. In fact, I even thought the gravity might be 1.009, so I’m not sure if that suggests a misread last time, or perhaps the gravity has dropped with the … [...]

Blogger said...

I have visited this site on many an occasion now but this post is the 1st one that I have ever commented on.

Congratulations on such a fine article and site I have found it very helpful and informative - I only wish that there were more out there like this one.

I never leave empty handed, sometimes I may even be a little disappointed that I may not agree with a post or reply that has been made. But hey! that is life and if every one agreed on the same thing what a boring old world we would live in.

Keep up the good work and cheers.

Blogger said...

Thanks for the really nice comment. I'm glad people are getting something from my site. Please feel free to comment whenever you have something to say, especially if you disagree or question anything. How else am I gonna learn ;-)