Friday, February 1, 2008

More wine bubbles...

The Beaverdale Merlot has been going for a week now. Time for another bubble count I think:



























DayTime per bubble (secs)bubbles per minute
0infinite0
3228
597
9154

Observations:

  • the bubbles were coming through extremely slowly now

  • it was seemed to be very consistently one large bubble every 15 seconds


The instructions that came with the kit stated that fermentation for a red wine should take 15 to 20 days. It also said that less than one bubble every minute is a sign fermenting is ending. I therefore intend to leave the wine undisturbed for a little longer yet before taking any measurements. The target gravity is 990-994. I suspect the cool temperatures in the brewery are having an effect on the wine now. I'd be surprised if it is supposed to have slowed this much already. Like the beer, I consider this first wine a test of whether it brews well in the current conditions. I will make changes if they are needed for the next batches.

No comments: