Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A second glance

With the boiler fixed (at least for now) it was time to see what damage had been done to my beer by the cold temperatures in the house. I took the lid off (with a slight hiss) and took a gravity measure with the sterilised hydrometer - it was 1018. This doesn't seem much below the 1022 from 8 days ago (which was measured 5 days after the beer was started.) I gave the beer a stir with the stirrer (which I had also sterilised) for 10 or 15 seconds to get the yeast mixed back in, trying to stir firmly but without splashing and introducing oxygen. I took the following picture and then quickly replaced the lid.

Second Glance

I intend to measure the gravity again tomorrow and if it has not decreased, I will give the beer a longer stir to hopefully encourage the yeast to get back to work over the weekend.
Observations:


  • it is very difficult to sterilise a stirrer which is slightly larger than the size of a sink, and a hydrometer whose whole purpose is to partially stick out of the water

  • the beer had a few clumps what appeared to be dry brown powder floating on the top

  • the beer still had the very mild but pleasant smell of a light ale

  • the scum on the surface that was noticeable on the last inspection after 5 days has gone

6 comments:

Blogger said...

With regards to sterilise the hydrometer, it might be worth just buying a plastic trail jar. They only cost a couple of quid, and are tall straight plastic measuring jugs. Just right for popping in a hydrometer. Just drain off the beer via the tap into the jar and pop in your hydrometer. No need to sterilise either (as long as you don't tip it back into the fermenter of course).
As for the stirrer, perhaps a plant sprayer filled with a no-rinse steriliser.
I wouldn't worry about the scum, the cold will have just suspended the yeast. The gentle stir will hopefully reactivate it, if not you could try throwing in some more yeast if nothing happens after a few days.

Blogger said...

Thanks for the comments. The hydrometer did come in a little plastic tube I could use. I can even have a little taste then too and see how its doing :-)

I don't have any extra yeast currently - I'll have to go buy some if it has stopped. Thanks again.

Blogger said...

you might want to think about investing in a heater of some description for future brews. I use a Youngs Brew Belt and it works an absolute treat. The beer is kept at a stable 23 degree's See the link below for my fermentor.

http://www.blackwinterday.co.uk/stuff/HomeBrew.jpg

Blogger said...

Thanks for the tip Andy. I had never heard of these, so I am researching them right now. Could be an excellent solution to my problems.

Thanks again.

Blogger said...

Have a look here

http://www.brew-it-yourself.co.uk/shop/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/91?osCsid=1f0651210c52e92beb7e08ee2a796dee

Blogger said...

Thanks for the link. I saw those (got them on e-bay too but more expensive). Looked at heat mats too. One problem for me is that I am about to start to brew wine at the same time, so I'd rather have the room temperature correct rather than just focusing the heat on the container.

I think I'm going to see how this brew turns out. I'm not a huge drinker, so slow fermentation (and so slower beer production) I can cope with - stuck fermentation on the other hand would be a pain. That said, if a second hand bargain comes up on ebay ;-)