Thursday, January 24, 2008

Coming Unstuck

"The Brewery" temperature is now back up to about 18 degrees C and the beer had a stir yesterday. It was time to take the lid off the beer again, and see if it was still dead as a dodo, or if it had been resurrected, like the boiler.

Coming Unstuck

Good news I think. Comparing the picture from today (above) and the picture in yesterdays post, there are a lot more bubbles on the surface of the beer today. This I believe shows that the previously stuck fermentation has started to become active again. I took another hydrometer reading, and not unexpectedly it gave a reading of around 1018 still. However, I gave the beer another stir and I'm fairly hopeful that the beer will now continue to ferment.

The instructions suggest it should get down to at least 1014 and then stabilise, though I think I'd feel more confident that the yeast had properly woken up and finished fermenting if it gets to 1012 or less.

No comments: